INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY
GENERAL DENTISTRY INFORMED CONSENT
1. WORK TO BE DONE: I understand that I am having the following work done: Fillings (), Bridges (), Crowns (), X-rays (),
Extractions (), Impacted teeth removed (), Root Canals (), Dentures (),
2. DRUGS AND MEDICATION: I understand that antibiotics, analgesics and other medications can cause allergic reactions causing redness and swelling of tissue, pain, itching, vomiting, and/or anaphylactic shock.
3. CHANGES IN TREATMENT PLAN: I understand that during treatment it may be necessary to change or add procedures because of conditions found while working on the teeth that were not discovered during examination. For example, root canal therapy following routine restorative procedures. I give my permission to my dentist to make any/all changes and additions as necessary.
4. REMOVAL OF TEETH: Alternatives to renoval have been explained to me (root canal therapy, crowns, periodontal surgery, etc.) And I authorize the dentist to remove the following
and any others necessary for reasons in paragraph #3. I understand removing teeth does not always remove all the infection, if present, and it may be necessary to have further treatment. I understand the risks involved in having teeth removed, some of which are pain, swelling, spread of infection, dry socket, loss of feeling in my teeth, lips tongue and surrounding tissue (Paresthesia) that can last for an indefinite period of time or fractured jaw. I understand I may need further treatment by a specialist if complications arise during or following treatment, the cost for which is my responsibility.
5. CROWNS, BRIDGES, AND CAPS: I understand that sometimes it is not possible to match the color of natural teeth exactly with artificial teeth. I further understand that I may be wearing temporary crowns, which may come off easily and that I must be careful to ensure that they are kept on until the permanent crowns are delivered. I realize the final opportunity to make changes in my news crown bridge, or cap (including shape, fit, and color) will be before cementation. It is also my responsibility to return for permanent cementation within 21 days from tooth preparation. Excessive delays may allow for tooth movement. This may necessitate a remake of the crown, bridge, or cap. I understand that there will be additional charges for remakes due to my delaying permanent cementation.
PERIODONTAL LOSS (TISSUE AND BONE): I understand that I have a serious condition, causing gum and bone inflamation or loss and that it can lead to the loss of my teeth. Alternative treatment plans have been explained to me, including gum surgery, replacements and/or extractions. I understand that undertaking any dental procedure may have a future adverse effect on my periodontal condition.
7. ENDODONTIC TREATMENT (ROOT CANAL): I realize there is no guarantee that root canal therapy will save my tooth, and that complications can occur from the treatment, and that occasionally root canal filling material may extend through the tooth which does not necessarily effect the success of the treatment. I understand that endodontic files are very fine instruments and stresses from their manufacture can cause them to separate during use. I understand that occasionally additional surgical procedures may be necessary following root canal treatment (apicoectomy). I understand that the tooth may be lost in spite of all efforts to save it.
8. FILLINGS: I understand that care must be exercising in chewing on fillings especially during the first 24 hours to avoid breakage. I understand that a more extensive filling than originally diagnosed may be required due to additional decay. I understand that significant sensitivity is a common after effect of a newly placed filling.
9. DENTURES: I understand the wearing of dentures is difficult. Sore spots, altered speech, and difficulty in eating are some common problems. Immediate dentures (placement of denture immediately after extractions) may be painful. Immediate dentures may require considerable adjusting and several relines. A permanent reline will be needed later. This is not included in the denture fee. I understand that it is my responsibility to return for delivery of the dentures. I understand that failure to keep my delivery appointment may result in poorly fitted dentures. If a remake is required due to my delays of 30 days, there will be additional charges.
I understand that dentistry is not an exact science and that therefore, reputable practitioners cannot properly guarantee results. I acknowledge that no guarantee or assurance has been made by anyone regarding the dental treatment which I have requested and authorized.
I hereby authorize any of the doctors or dental auxiliaries to proceed with and perform the dental restorations and treatments as explained to me. I understand that this is only an estimate and subject to modification depending on unforseen or undiagnosable circumstances that may arise during the course of treatment. I understand that regardless of any dental insurance coverage I may have, I am responsible for payment of the dental fees. I agree to pay any attorney's fees, or court costs, that may be incurred to satisfy this obligation.